Residential Adaptation Assistance Program – Option 1 – Professional support - Société d'habitation du Québec

À noter! La présente section s’adapte désormais à l’outil que vous utilisez (ordinateur, tablette ou mobile). Au cours des prochains mois, nous rendrons d’autres sections « réactives » afin de bonifier l’expérience de nos utilisateurs.


Fil d'ariane

Residential Adaptation Assistance Program – Option 1 – Professional support

This option includes the support of an occupational therapist and a certified inspector. The occupational therapy services are provided by the Centre Intégré de Santé et de Services Sociaux or the Centre Intégré Universitaire de Santé et de Services Sociaux in your area as part of its mission as a local community service centre (CLSC).

If the eligible person so wishes, they can use the services of a private-sector occupational therapist.

Assessment of adaptation needs

Occupational therapist

Plans and specifications

Inspector certified by the SHQ

Maximum assistance

$16,000 to $33,000, depending on household income and the need to install specialized equipment, among other things

Nature of work

  1. Work facilitating entering and exiting the home (e.g. installing an access ramp, widening and replacing an entrance door)
  2. Work facilitating access to the essential rooms of the home and moving within these rooms (e.g. widening a door)
  3. Bathroom (e.g. grab bars, shower without a threshold, ceiling lift, changing table)
  4. Kitchen (e.g. clearance under the kitchen sink)
  5. Bedroom (e.g. ceiling lift or changing table)

Eligible specialized equipment


Essential rooms: Bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, dining room and living room.
Eligible specialized equipment: Specialized equipment eligible for the RAAP includes access ramps, platform lifts, ceiling lifts, electric door openers and stair lifts.

Financial assistance

The financial assistance is paid to the owner of the home and the amount depends on several criteria, including the household income of the person with a disability and whether specialized equipment needs to be installed.

The purpose of this financial assistance is to provide financial support for the adaptation work. The RAAP does not subsidize renovation work. In most cases, the subsidy does not cover the total cost of the work and the owner has to pay the difference.

Eligible work

To be eligible, the work done must:

  • change and adapt the person with a disability’s home so that they can enter and leave the home and independently access essential rooms (for example, their bedroom, the bathroom and the living room) and perform their everyday activities
  • be a simple, functional, safe, and economical solution
  • be permanent in nature


  • installing an outdoor access ramp
  • refurbishing a bathroom
  • widening door frames

For the Professional Support option, eligible work is determined by the municipal partner (municipality or regional county municipality (RCM)), as per program conditions and the recommendations made by the occupational therapist; the occupational therapist can be from the public sector (local community service centre/CLSC) or from the private sector, whichever the eligible person chooses.

Any work done before authorization is given by the SHQ or its partner will not be subsidized.

All work must meet the eligibility criteria and the needs of the person with a disability.

File wait time and processing

The SHQ entrusts the municipalities and RCMs with the responsibility of managing the Residential Adaptation Assistance Program. The health and social services network collaborates on implementing the program by producing occupational therapists’ reports, unless the eligible person has chosen to use the services of the private sector instead of the CLSC.

There is usually a waiting period before a file is taken over by an occupational therapist and the municipal partner; this wait time varies among regions.

Processing a file involves several steps and takes a few months.

Moving and building a home

If the person with a disability is considering moving, it is strongly recommended that they wait until they move to their new home before registering in the program.

In cases where a home is being built, work eligible under the program is limited. When considering building a home, the owner should be mindful of making it accessible. To do so, the following document is recommended: Un logis bien pensé j'y vis, j'y reste! : guide de rénovation pour rendre un logis accessible et adaptable (18.0 Mo).

Registering for the program

The process

If you are a tenant, first talk to the owner of your building to find out if they agree to have the adaptation work done in your apartment and ask them to fill out the part of the form that pertains to them.

  1. Get the Program Registration form at the CLSC closest to your home or at the SHQ. Once the form has been filled out, send it to the SHQ, along with the required supporting documents.
  2. The SHQ then sends your registration both to the CLSC, which is responsible for assigning you an occupational therapist and to your municipality or RCM. It then sends you an acknowledgment of receipt, which includes information about conditions and about the wait time until the occupational therapist from your CLSC handles your evaluation. You can then decide whether you want to use the services of a private-sector occupational therapist if you wish. In this case, it is your responsibility to make the necessary arrangements.
  3. An occupational therapist and a representative from your municipality or your RCM visit your home. The latter draws up a list of eligible work, taking into consideration the occupational therapist’s recommendations.
  4. If you are a tenant, the owner of your building submits contractors’ bids to the municipality or RCM representative; if you are the owner, you do not have to submit these bids.
  5. To have the work described done, you, or your building owner if you are a tenant, must choose a contractor listed in the Régie du bâtiment du Québec’s (RBQ) Licence Holders’ Repertory, who has valid GST and QST numbers and who is not listed in the Register of Enterprises Ineligible for Public Contracts.
  6. The owner waits to receive authorization from the municipality, the RCM or the SHQ before having the work done (failure to comply with this instruction will automatically result in the work being ineligible for a subsidy).
  7. The owner receives the financial assistance when the work is complete and the municipality or RCM has checked that it has been done as agreed.

For additional information

Contact your municipality or your RCM Cet hyperlien s'ouvrira dans une nouvelle fenêtre., your CLSC Cet hyperlien s'ouvrira dans une nouvelle fenêtre. or the Société d'habitation du Québec.