Residential Adaptation Assistance Program – Option 2 – Self-determined needs and work - Société d'habitation du Québec

À noter! La présente section s’adapte désormais à l’outil que vous utilisez (ordinateur, tablette ou mobile). Au cours des prochains mois, nous rendrons d’autres sections « réactives » afin de bonifier l’expérience de nos utilisateurs.


Fil d'ariane

Residential Adaptation Assistance Program – Option 2 – Self-determined needs and work

This option does not include any support. Once the person is registered, the work to be done is chosen based on a list established by the SHQ.

Assessment of adaptation needs

Not included

Plans and specifications

Not included

Maximum assistance


Nature of work

  1. Work facilitating entering and exiting the home (e.g. installing an access ramp, widening and replacing an entrance door)
  2. Work facilitating access to the essential rooms of the home (e.g. widening a door)
  3. Bathroom (e.g. grab bars, shower without a threshold)

Eligible specialized equipment

Access ramp only

Essential rooms: Bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, dining room and living room.

Financial assistance

The financial assistance is paid to the owner of the home. The purpose of this financial assistance is to provide financial support for the adaptation work. The RAAP does not subsidize renovation work. In most cases, the subsidy does not cover the total cost of the work and the owner has to pay the difference.

Eligible Work

The work must:

  • Make it possible to modify and adapt the dwelling of the disabled person so that they can enter and leave it, have independent access to essential rooms (for example, their bedroom, bathroom, living room) and carry out their regular day-to-day activities 
  • Be composed of a simple, functional, secure and low-cost solution
  • Be of a permanent nature

The following are considered eligible work:

  • Build an outside access ramp (slope 1:12)
  • Raise the deck (floor) of a balcony
  • Widen and/or lower an outside door
  • Move a wardrobe rod or shelf
  • Clear the space under a kitchen and/or bathroom sink
  • Widen one or more inside door frames (or install retractable hinges)
  • Lower or move switches, electrical outlets and thermostats
  • Install one or more folding grab bars in the bathroom (maximum 2)
  • Install standard or L grab bars (maximum 3 each)
  • Build a roll-in shower (approximately 60 in x 40 in (150 cm x 101 cm))

The work must be done by a contractor registered in the Licence Holders' Repertory Cet hyperlien s'ouvrira dans une nouvelle fenêtre. of the Régie du bâtiment du Québec (RBQ) and have the appropriate license. The contractor must also have valid GST and QST numbers. In addition, the contractor must not be entered in the Register of Entreprises Ineligible for Public Contracts (RENA) Cet hyperlien s'ouvrira dans une nouvelle fenêtre..


File wait time and processing

The wait time is a few weeks.

Moving and building a home

If the person with a disability is considering moving, it is strongly recommended that they wait until they move to their new home before registering in the program.

In cases where a home is being built, work eligible under the program is limited. When considering building a home, the owner should be mindful of making it accessible. To do so, the following document is recommended:  Un logis bien pensé j'y vis, j'y reste! : guide de rénovation pour rendre un logis accessible et adaptable (18.0 Mo).

Registering for the program

The process

If you are a tenant, first talk to the owner of your building to find out if they agree to have the adaptation work done in your apartment and ask them to fill out the part of the form that pertains to them.

  1. Get the Program Registration form at the CLSC closest to your home or at the SHQ. Once the form has been filled out, send it to the SHQ, along with the required supporting documents.
  2. The SHQ then analyzes your registration and confirms your eligibility.
  3. Fill out the form sent to you by the SHQ to describe, from among the adaptation measures eligible under the program, those that you intend to have done to meet your needs.
  4. If you are a tenant, the owner of your building submits contractors’ bids to the SHQ; if you are the owner, you do not have to submit these bids.
  5. To have the work described done, you, or your building owner if you are a tenant, must choose a contractor listed in the Régie du bâtiment du Québec’s (RBQ) Licence Holders’ Repertory, who has valid GST and QST numbers and who is not listed in the Register of Enterprises Ineligible for Public Contracts.
  6. The owner waits for the SHQ’s authorization before having the work done (failure to comply with this instruction will automatically result in the work being ineligible for a subsidy).
  7. Once the work is complete, submit all your invoices describing the work done and any other document required to the SHQ.
  8. The owner receives the financial assistance when the work is complete and the SHQ has verified that invoices and documents submitted are compliant.

For additional information

Contact the Société d'habitation du Québec.