Residential Adaptation Assistance Program – Option 3 – Retroactive financial assistance - Société d'habitation du Québec

À noter! La présente section s’adapte désormais à l’outil que vous utilisez (ordinateur, tablette ou mobile). Au cours des prochains mois, nous rendrons d’autres sections « réactives » afin de bonifier l’expérience de nos utilisateurs.


Fil d'ariane

Residential Adaptation Assistance Program – Option 3 – Retroactive financial assistance

This option applies to work completed during the 12-month period before registration.

Assessment of adaptation needs

Not included

Plans and specifications

Not included

Maximum assistance


(50% of eligible expenses, up to a maximum of $4,000 (e.g. for $6,000 of eligible expenses, the amount of financial assistance is $3,000))

Nature of work

  1. Work facilitating entering and exiting the home (e.g. installing an access ramp, widening and replacing an entrance door)
  2. Work facilitating access to the essential rooms of the home (e.g. widening a door)
  3. Bathroom (e.g. grab bars, shower without a threshold)

Eligible specialized equipment

Access ramp only

Essential rooms: Bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, dining room and living room.

Financial assistance

The financial assistance is paid to the owner of the home. The purpose of this financial assistance is to provide financial support for the adaptation work. The RAAP does not subsidize renovation work. In most cases, the subsidy does not cover the total cost of the work and the owner has to pay the difference.

Eligible Work

The work must:

  • Make it possible to modify and adapt the dwelling of the disabled person so that they can enter and leave it, have independent access to essential rooms (for example, their bedroom, bathroom, living room) and carry out their regular day-to-day activities 
  • Be composed of a simple, functional, secure and low-cost solution
  • Be of a permanent nature

The following are considered eligible work:

  • Build an outside access ramp (slope 1:12)
  • Raise the deck (floor) of a balcony
  • Widen and/or lower an outside door
  • Move a wardrobe rod or shelf
  • Clear the space under a kitchen and/or bathroom sink
  • Widen one or more inside door frames (or install retractable hinges)
  • Lower or move switches, electrical outlets and thermostats
  • Install one or more folding grab bars in the bathroom (maximum 2)
  • Install standard or L grab bars (maximum 3 each)
  • Build a roll-in shower (approximately 60 in x 40 in (150 cm x 101 cm))

The work must be done by a contractor registered in the Licence Holders' Repertory Cet hyperlien s'ouvrira dans une nouvelle fenêtre. of the Régie du bâtiment du Québec (RBQ) and have the appropriate license. The contractor must also have valid GST and QST numbers. In addition, the contractor must not be entered in the Register of Entreprises Ineligible for Public Contracts (RENA) Cet hyperlien s'ouvrira dans une nouvelle fenêtre..


File wait time and processing

The wait time is a few weeks.

Registering for the program

The process

If you are a tenant, ask the owner of your building to fill out the part of the form that pertains to them.

  1. Get the Program Registration form at the CLSC closest to your home or at the SHQ. Once the form has been filled out, send it to the SHQ, along with the required supporting documents.
  2. The SHQ then analyzes your registration and confirms your eligibility.
  3. Fill out the form sent to you by the SHQ to describe, from among the adaptation measures eligible for the program, those that you had done during the 12-month period before your registration.
  4. Submit all your invoices to the SHQ describing the work done; the work must have been done by a contractor listed in the Régie du bâtiment du Québec’s (RBQ) Licence Holders’ Repertory, who has valid GST and QST numbers and who is not listed in the Register of Enterprises Ineligible for Public Contracts. Also submit any other document required.
  5. The owner receives the financial assistance after the SHQ has verified that the invoices and documents submitted are compliant.

For additional information

Contact the Société d'habitation du Québec.